Smoky Eye Tutorial Series #1: Purple with a POP!

Friday, January 29, 2010
I thought it would be fun to do a series featuring different kinds of smoky eyes. They are undoubtedly the most popular type of nighttime makeup and also really fun to do!

The first look is one of my favorite types of smoky eyes- purple with a pop of bright turquoise in the inner corner.
What I used:
-Fyrinnae Iris- Medium-light purple with a frosty green shimmer (This is one of my favorite Fyrinnae colors and I think it might be discontinued arg!! The green shows up SO well!)
-Fyrinnae Javan Rhino- Vibrant turquoise with a lavender-pink highlight
-Fyrinnae Changeling- Deep, dark purple with shimmer and gold sparkle. Not lip-safe.
-Fyrinnae Finnegan's Wake- Pale beige-champagne colour with orange shimmer
-Urban Decay 24/7 liner in Zero- black
-Fyrinnae Glow blush in Charm
-Revlon matte lipstick in Pink Pout
-Fyrinnae lip lustre in Very Berry Happy- a semi-sheer "milky" pink shimmer
Okay then, that totally looks like a ton of product, but really this look is fairly simple!
1. Use a nice sticky primer, like Detrivore
2. Pat on a medium toned lavender color like Iris on the lid and about a quarter inch above the crease
3. Take a small eyeshadow (or even concealer) brush and pat a dark shimmery purple (Changeling) in the outer 1/3rd of crease
4. Use a black liner (Zero) on the bottom lashline, stopping just where the white of your eye ends and on the top lid up to where the iris of your eye starts
5. Take the same dark purple as before (Changeling) and gently pat it on top of the black liner, smudging it downwards a bit to get that smoky effect
6. Use another itty bitty brush (I use a lip one!), gently tap on a bright turquoise or teal (Javan Rhino) into the inner vee. If you have watery eyes like me, make sure to go around the actual eye so you won't get any pigment in there!
7. Last, take a fun duochrome highlight color (Finnegan's Wake), a big fluffy brush, and blend the crease and browbone! Since there is such heavy liner going on here, you don't want too much shadow in the crease.
Try not to look like such a sad panda XD
I really like this look. I think it makes my eyes look bigger and whiter and I always get compliments when I wear it!

What do you think? Any kinds of smoky eyes you'd like to see next? Any fun plans for the weekend? (I have the DUMBEST project to do for Adolescent Psych...I have to write a pen pal letter, then pretend I'm someone else and write one back, then analyze it! Arg!!! I'm 21, not 11!!)